Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counseling – Graduate Certificate Program
Prepares you for State Licensure/Certification
Union’s certificate in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling is a fully online graduate certificate offered as a stand-alone program or embedded in the Masters of Arts program with a major in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. It is designed to train and prepare professionals for a career in counseling individuals with substances use and abuse problems. The program provides required courses and 270 educational hours to meet licensing or certification criteria in many states. You should check with your home state as to specific laws and requirements. At Union, we know timing and preparation go hand-in-hand. That’s why our Alcohol & Drug Abuse certificate can be completed in just 1 year!
Certification & licensure for our graduates
Union’s Alcohol & Drug Abuse graduates may be eligible to apply for licensure or certification in the above states. Completion of this certificate meets the educational requirements for application for certification and/or licensure as an alcohol and drug counselor in many states which have such certification or licensure. Students should contact their state board to verify their home state specific requirements.
Certificate Structure & Details
• 270 Educational Hours Available
• 6 Completely Online Courses
• January, May, and August start dates
• Complete your degree in as little as 12 months.
- ADC 501 Counseling Theory and Practice
- ADC 507 Group Work and Therapy
- ADC 512 Psychopharmacology for Mental Health and Addictive Disorders
- ADC 518 Substance Abuse & Addictive Disorders
- ADC 530 Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment Planning of Addictive Disorders
- ADC 520 Substance Abuse Counseling with Addicted Populations
- Tuition is a flat rate of $1380 per course ($460/credit hour)
- Total $8280 (6 courses/$1380 each)
- Healthcare professionals can take individual courses without applying for the stand-alone certificate for $1350 per course
Students in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program
- Tuition is the standard rate for graduate credits at Union for students in the embedded degree program who are enrolled in the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. Students who take the Certificate program as part of their CMHC program will pay based on the CMHC tuition rates. Students who transfer from the Certificate program into the CMHC program will need to pay the differential between the Certificate tuition and the CMHC tuition to transfer their credits.
- Requires 3 elective courses within the certificate program, along with 3 required courses
- 18 graduate credit hours (6 courses)