The Nest is Union Institute & University’s Interprofessional Telehealth Clinic and offers virtual video consultations.
The Nest represents a place of rest where the family unit can care for their young while supported by experienced healthcare providers. Our goal is healthy, thriving families.
Virtual Lactation Consultations
The Nest’s lactation services are student-led, which allows us to offer affordable services to families and provides direct learning experiences to students. Along with the student, an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) will always be present during lactation visits.
Virtual lactation consultations offer the same services that in-person consultations would offer such as:
- Prenatal breastfeeding assessments
- Latch issues
- Sore nipples
- Milk supply
- Weight gain
- And many more topics
The Nest also offers virtual group prenatal breastfeeding classes for expectant families.
Virtual Consultation Preparation
- Upon booking your appointment you will receive intake forms to complete, which let us know more about your health history and any problems that you are having.
- On the day of the appointment, it is best to use a laptop or a tablet, or a phone with a stand, for issues other than latch. If your concern is about latch, a handheld phone or other device might work best so that the provider can get a closer look at the latch.
- Position yourself in a well-lit room so that the provider can see you and the baby.
- Provide a feeding about 2 hours prior to the consultation so that the baby will be hungry during the consultation. This is important so that the provider can watch a feeding.
- Consider having a “helper” adult in the room with you for extra support, if needed.
- Have pillows close by for positioning.
- Jot down your questions ahead of time and have those with you during the consultation.
Booking and Payment
The Nest offers affordable services on a sliding scale, so families pay only what they are able to pay. Sliding scale pricing starts at only $20. The sliding scale represents the idea that financial means are not the only determining factor in whether or not someone can access services. Simply pay what you can afford. Those who are able to pay more will counterbalance those who do not have the means to do so. You will be invoiced for services upon completion of your appointment.
Facts about The Nest
Group classes and consultations will be led by our own human lactation students and accompanied by an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Our students come from varying backgrounds and are either part of our B.S. in Maternal Child Health: Human Lactation degree program or our M.A. in Human Lactation Studies degree program where they are seeking to become International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs). All students have undergone a minimum of 90 didactic hours of lactation-specific education and are prepared to work directly with clients.
Alicia Simpson, MS, RD, IBCLC, LD serves as our faculty IBCLC who works directly with students to offer The Nest’s lactation services. Alicia is a Registered Dietitian and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) who brings a wealth of knowledge and experience in working with clients and students.