The Union Difference Hispanic-Serving Institution
Una Institución de Servicio Hispano
Union Insitute & University is proud to be the only Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) in Ohio
Since 1964, Union has been redefining higher education. We place students at the center of their own education. Whether you’re completing an unfinished degree, seeking an advanced degree to further your professional development or fulfilling a lifetime goal, we have the academic program to match your needs, schedule and aspirations.
Part of Union Institute & University’s mission is to educate an ethnically diverse, highly motivated population of adult students who seek academic programs to engage, enlighten and empower them to pursue professional goals and a lifetime of learning, service and social responsibility.
This commitment to academic excellence and promoting diversity among its academic community, and in the world at large, has earned Union Institute & University the distinction of being the first and only university in Ohio, designated by the US Department of Education, as a Hispanic-Serving Institution.
What is a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI)?
A Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) is defined as an accredited, degree-granting, public or private nonprofit institution of higher education with a full-time equivalent (FTE) undergraduate student enrollment that is at least 25 percent Hispanic.
Union Institute & University is the only HSI university in Ohio and one of only 18 HSI colleges in the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.)
With Hispanic students representing 31% of our 2019 undergraduate enrollment, Union Institute & University exceeds the standards for HSI designation.
The Union & Institute Difference
Our HSI designation is just one of the many benefits that sets Union apart from other higher education institutions.
- Union Institute & University is a leader in the development and delivery of high-quality certificates as well as undergraduate, master’s and doctoral degree programs. Since 1964, Union has offered educational programs that help students achieve their professional goals and pursue a lifetime of learning, service and social responsibility.
- Union Institute & University is a private, nonprofit, regionally accredited, international higher educational institution with academic centers located in Ohio, Florida and California.
- Union is one of the oldest institutions to offer students the ability to complete their studies online.
- Union is ranked as having one of the highest values in the academic higher educational market. Union is uniquely positioned by providing students with sought-after professional, workplace certificates that are embedded in some degree programs.
- Union is known for pioneering the ability for adult learners to obtain credit for their life experiences and workplace training. Potential students receive a free unofficial transcript review and can transfer up to 90 credit hours for undergraduate programs – which means they can often finish their bachelor’s degree in less than a year.
- Union makes starting school easy by waiving SAT, ACT, GRE and GMAT scores, plus no application fee.
- Most classes are eight weeks, making it flexible and convenient for students to start in programs.
- Union has produced the next generation of leaders, including 27 alumni who have become presidents at other higher education institutions.
Paying for Your Education
At Union Institute & University, we are committed to providing the best value for an online university. We know paying for your education is an investment in the future you. That’s why we are serious about our pledge to making higher education affordable and accessible. With accelerated degree completion options and a liberal transfer policy, Union is your doorway to achieving your dreams. Learn more about funding your future.