Financial Aid Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial needs, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Monies earned under this program must be counted as a resource available to the student to meet the demonstrated financial need.  A FWS recipient must meet all federal student aid eligibility criteria, including satisfactory academic progress, and at least half-time enrollment status. Your financial need is determined from the results of your annual FAFSA.

Put your studies to work

Union Institute & University encourages you to locate a community service agency and schedule an interview.  Contact the Financial Aid Office to determine if the agency fits the criteria for a non-profit community service agency, per federal guidelines. If you are hired as a FWS employee, you will need to submit a completed FWS Off-Campus Contract and Job Placement form to the Financial Aid Office.  Federal Work-Study Employees are NOT eligible to receive Unemployment Compensation as this is a government-funded financial aid program.

Details about Work Study Employment

A student may be employed by Union at any of our academic centers. Typically, FWS recipients work in clerical and administrative positions. A student may also serve as a research assistant to a professor or instructor, as long as the work is in line with the professor’s official duties and is considered work for the university itself. Available FWS positions at Union can be found on CampusWeb. Instructions on who to submit your resume to will be posted in the announcement.

Contact Us

If you have already completed the FAFSA for the academic year, and you are interested in FWS employment, please contact the financial aid office.