Certificate California Teacher Permit
The California Teacher Permit Certificate consists of 28 credit hours and acts as a stand-alone certificate. Upon completion of this certificate, students holding an Associate Teacher Permit may qualify to obtain a Teacher Permit on the California Teacher Permit Matrix.
Complete this certificate in two to three months
The certificate is based upon an established need for early childhood educators within the State of California to advance from the Associate Educator Permit to the Teacher Permit. California associate teachers must advance to teacher permit status within ten years of employment in order to retain their employment. Based on the California Teacher Credential (CTC) / Department of Education permit matrix, teachers need to complete sixteen hours of specified general education courses and twelve additional child development/ early childhood hours.
Admission occurs on a rolling basis. In order to be considered for admission, the applicant must demonstrate:
- High school diploma, GED, completion of an approved home-school program, credit from regionally accredited undergraduate college or university, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE). College credit alone without evidence of high school completion is adequate for admissions, but may not meet financial aid requirements.
- Ability to do college-level work as demonstrated by prior transcripted course work at a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA from previously attended colleges or universities, or related experience.
- Ability to become a self-directed student.
- Computer capabilities and skills to access the required electronic communications services on a regular basis.
- 28 credit hours – stand-alone certificate
- The certificate can be completed in 2-3 semesters
- Transfer up to 50% through prior transcripted coursework or CLEP
- Scholarships available – just ask!
- CHD 305- Integrating Developmental Domains
- CHD 405- Art & Science of Assessing Children
- CHD 406- Professional Practices
- GWRI 101- The Writer Within
- GPSY 120- Essentials of Psychology
- GBIO 225- From Healthy to Ill…From Vaccines to Epidemics
- GLIT 230- Latino American Literature
- GART 115- A Visual Adventure
Students accepted into this program will receive a $195 per credit hour scholarship, resulting in a discounted tuition of $350 per credit hour.
- Application for Admission.
- Official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and/or universities (if applicable) OR unofficial transcripts from all previously attended colleges and/or universities for which there is no official transcript (if applicable). Official transcripts from all previously attend colleges and/or universities must be received by the university no later than the end of the first 16-week term of enrollment. If a student is admitted in the second 8-week session of a term, the student will have until the end of the first 8-week session of the next term.
- A Memorandum of Understanding regarding unofficial transcripts.
- Students who are unable to provide an unofficial college/university transcript must provide an official high school transcript with a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
- Other supporting documents: CLEP.
This certificate provides the educational requirements for the California Teacher Permit. It does not provide educational requirements for certification in any other state.
For additional information, including a breakdown by state, click here.
Funding Your Future
Explore your financial aid and scholarship options. We strive to make college affordable. See what makes Union the best value.