About Union Accreditation

Union Institute & University is proud to be institutionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). HLC is an institutional accreditor recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation to accredit degree-granting colleges and universities. Institutional accreditation validates the quality of an institution's academic programs at all degree levels. Institutional accreditation also examines the quality of the institution beyond its academic offerings and evaluates the institution as a whole. In addition, a number of Union’s degree programs have specialized accreditation. To find out more about accreditation, visit the US Department of Education.

The Higher Learning Commission

Union Institute & University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission

800.621.7440 | hlcommission.org

Council on Social Work Education

The Bachelor of Science major in Social Work is accredited by the CSWE

CSWE logo

703.683.8080 | cswe.org

Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs

The Bachelor of Science major in Maternal Child Health & the Master of Arts major in Human Lactation Studies are accredited by the CAHEEP


727-210-2350 | caahep.org

Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs

The Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation
of Counseling and Related Educational Programs


703-535-5990 | cacrep.org

Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics

The Master of Arts degree with a major in Applied Nutrition and Dietetics has been granted candidate status by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics.


800.877.1600 | eatrightpro.org

National Board for Certified Counselors

The Master of Arts with a major in Clinical Mental Health Counseling is recognized by the National Board for Certified Counselors. Students who graduate from the program will have met course requirements for national certification as a counselor. They may sit for the national exam while in their final term or after graduation.

333.547.0607 | nbcc.org

State Authorizations and Exemptions

On September 2015, Union was by approved by the state of Ohio to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of post-secondary distance education. Membership in the agreement, also known as SARA, means that the university no longer has restrictions with regard to enrolling students living in other SARA member states. Membership in SARA is growing as more states join the agreement. Many states have already joined, which can be seen by the map at http://nc-sara.org/sara-states-institutions. Contact the Union admissions office to determine whether your state is authorized. 
Many states require no formal authorization or exemption for out-of-state schools to enroll state residents in online programs. For those states where Union has established academic centers, and for a small number of additional key states, Union has obtained formal authorization or exemptions as required by the individual state’s regulations. Click to expand the list below and learn more about exemptions in each state.
University branded marketing collateral links below for all academic programs.
NC-SARA Approved Institution logo round

Union is approved by the State of California Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education to operate an Accredited Institution (IC#: 39222871) through a biennial review process. Additional information may be obtained by contacting California-BPPE at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, California, 95833. Phone: 916.431.6959. bppe.ca.gov

Union California – BPPE Approval Link

University branded marketing collateral links below for all academic programs