CERTIFICATE HISTORY & CULTURE
Explore the historical and cultural significance of a particular topic of choice when you earn your certificate in History & Culture. Studies could include cultural and ethnic studies, folklore and mythology, anthropology, archaeology and more.
These flexible, individualized certificates are designed for students who already hold a graduate degree. The certificates provide graduates with the qualifications needed to teach at the college level in a second or third subject area. There are a variety of subjects offered, each taught in 16-week terms. The certificates can typically be completed in 8-12 months.
Six credits of coursework exploring the breadth of the academic field.
Six credits of individualized study exploring specific areas of interest to the student.
Six credits (also individualized study) that allow for hands-on practical application of what has been learned.
- 18 credits taught in 16-week terms
- Complete in 8 months (full-time) or one year (part-time)
- January, May, and August start dates
- HISC 525/526 - Applications I and II
- HISC 512/513 - Disciplinary Foundations I and II
- HISC 521/522 - Field of Study I and II
- A graduate degree (this requirement can be waived in specific circumstances)
- A personal essay explaining why the certificate is sought
- Transcripts from prior college and graduate work, with a GPA of at least 3.0
- One letter of reference that speaks to the applicant’s academic abilities
Funding Your Future
Explore your financial aid and scholarship options. We strive to make college affordable. See what makes Union the best value.